31 December 2011

Insomnia and the Munchies

midnight snack

Couldn't sleep and had the urge for some cookies. The only cookies remaining in our house were some rum balls and I'm not too fond of them. Sooo, in the wee dark hours this morning, I made pizzelle cookies! Pizzelles are one of my favorite holiday treats. I didn't make them before Christmas so it was the perfect time to make them. I found my pizzelle iron about 19 years ago at a thrift store for about $5 or $6 and that was a good deal because they're pricey.

Here's the recipe if anyone is interested:

Pizzelles
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon anise seed
3 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup melted margarine or butter
2 teaspoons vanilla

In a small mixing bowl stir together the flour, baking powder and anise

In a large bowl beat the eggs with electric mixer on high for 4 minutes or until thick and lemon colored. With the mixer on medium, gradually beat in the sugar. Then beat in the melted margarine or butter and vanilla. Add the flour mixture. Beat on low speed until combined.


mixer

Heat an electric pizzelle iron according to the manufacturers directions. (Or, heat a nonelectric pizzelle iron on the range-top over medium heat till a drop of water sizzles on the grid. Reduce heat to medium-low.)

Place a slightly rounded tablespoon of batter slightly off center toward back of grid. Close lid. Bake according to manufacturer's directions. (For a nonelectric iron, bake for 30 to 60 seconds or till golden, turning once.) Turn wafer out onto a paper towel to cool. Repeat with remaining batter. Makes about 18.
100_0663

100_0667


100_0666

100_0668
YUM!
Note:
Recipe is a modified version of one found in Better Homes and Gardens Cookies Cookies Cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts? Your opinions are important to me so if you think I am right on or off my rocker let me know.