07 July 2009

I Started Canning


Yesterday, I started canning my green beans. I had enough beans to can 9 pints. I got a pressure canner this year. The USDA recommends that you can with a pressure canner because it is the only way to get temperatures high enough to kill bacteria spores. I have some packs of veggies left from last year and I plan to divide them up among my 2 sons so they don't go to waste. Last year, I froze vegetables. After having a 5+ day power outage last winter I started thinking how lucky I was that the freezer was in the garage and that the outage was in the winter and not the summer. Concerns over a summer-time power outage was the deciding factor in purchasing a pressure canner. Here's a picture of my jars of beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts? Your opinions are important to me so if you think I am right on or off my rocker let me know.